May 20, 2026

The voice of Madridistas.

Arbeloa denies Mbappe claim as Real Madrid tension grows after Oviedo win

Real Madrid bench scene during the Oviedo match as Arbeloa denies Mbappe claim becomes a major post-match talking point

Arbeloa denies Mbappe claim after Real Madrid’s win over Oviedo, with the post-match comments quickly drawing major attention.

Álvaro Arbeloa has tried to cool down one of Real Madrid’s most uncomfortable stories of the season, but the noise is only getting louder. The coach’s post-match remarks after Thursday’s 2-0 win over Real Oviedo came just minutes after Kylian Mbappe suggested he had been told he was the team’s “fourth striker,” instantly turning a routine league victory into a major talking point around the club.

That is why Arbeloa denies Mbappe claim is suddenly the headline Real Madrid fans cannot ignore. This is no longer just about one lineup decision. It is about authority, trust, and how the club manages its biggest stars in a season that has already felt tense from the stands to the dressing room.

Why Arbeloa denies Mbappe claim matters so much

Real Madrid did get the result. Gonzalo scored before halftime and Jude Bellingham sealed the 2-0 victory in the 80th minute at the Bernabéu, giving Madrid a controlled home win over Oviedo. But the football quickly became secondary once the post-match comments started to dominate the conversation.

Mbappe, returning from a hamstring issue, came off the bench after missing the previous Clasico defeat to Barcelona. He said he was fully fit and indicated the decision was tactical rather than physical, adding that he respected the coach’s choice even while making it clear he believed others were ahead of him in the pecking order. Reuters reported that Mbappe said he was now the fourth-choice forward under Arbeloa, behind Franco Mastantuono, Vinicius Junior, and Gonzalo Garcia.

That instantly changed the tone around the win. When a player of Mbappe’s status publicly frames his role that way, the story stops being about rotation and starts becoming a question about the structure of the attack, the coach’s messaging, and whether the relationship between star and manager is beginning to strain.

What Arbeloa actually said after Real Madrid beat Oviedo

Arbeloa’s response was direct. Speaking after the match, he rejected the idea that he had told Mbappe he was the fourth striker. He said he had spoken with the French forward before kickoff but suggested Mbappe may have interpreted the conversation differently. He also stressed that if a player could not even be available for the bench against Barcelona a few days earlier, it made little sense to start him immediately in this match.

The logic of Arbeloa’s explanation is easy to understand from a coaching standpoint. He framed the decision as risk management, not punishment. He said the game was not a final or a life-or-death match, and with another important fixture coming on Sunday at Sevilla, he preferred to protect Mbappe rather than force him into the starting lineup too soon. Reuters also reported that Arbeloa said Mbappe would start the next game.

Arbeloa went a step further by making clear that names do not guarantee minutes in his team. In the OKDIARIO report, he backed Gonzalo’s inclusion and effectively said that while he is in charge, the choice of who plays belongs to him, regardless of status. That may sound obvious, but at Real Madrid it always carries extra weight when the player in question is Mbappe.

The bigger Real Madrid angle behind this story

This is why the episode feels bigger than a disagreement over wording. Even if Arbeloa did not literally tell Mbappe he was the fourth forward, the manager still made a very public selection decision that left one of the club’s biggest names on the bench at the Bernabéu. In practice, that is enough to create a storm on its own.

The atmosphere in the stadium made it even more sensitive. OKDIARIO reported that Mbappe and Vinicius were both whistled by sections of the crowd, while Reuters noted Mbappe was booed on his return. That matters because support for star players at Madrid can shift quickly when results disappoint and the team feels disconnected from its usual standards.

Arbeloa himself acknowledged the wider pressure around the club. He pointed to the demands of Real Madrid and the difficulty of playing through a bad year and another season without titles. Those comments are important because they show this story did not happen in isolation. It is unfolding in a tense environment where every lineup call, every substitution, and every public remark is being magnified.

What this means for Real Madrid

For Madrid, the priority now is simple: contain the issue before it becomes a running saga. If the club wants the focus back on football, it needs a quick reset. Arbeloa has already offered the obvious route by indicating Mbappe is expected to start against Sevilla, which would turn the conversation away from the bench and back toward performance.

For Mbappe, the challenge is just as clear. Public frustration can always be understood in context, especially from a player who believes he is fit enough to start. But at Real Madrid, the cleanest response is never verbal. It is decisive football. A strong display in the next match would do more to calm the situation than any clarification from either side.

There is also a real squad question underneath all of this. Gonzalo earned praise with his goal against Oviedo, Vinicius remains one of the team’s central figures, and Madrid’s attacking order is clearly being debated in public now in a way that usually stays private. That makes the next lineup significant not just for Mbappe, but for how Arbeloa wants this attack to function moving forward.

Why this matters beyond one post-match exchange

The strongest coaches at Real Madrid do not just make big calls. They survive the fallout from them. Arbeloa’s handling of this situation will be watched closely because it touches three sensitive areas at once: player management, fan mood, and the hierarchy of the frontline. If the next game passes without fresh controversy, this may be remembered as a sharp but temporary flare-up. If not, it could become a defining pressure point.

It also opens up a wider conversation that Real Madrid supporters will keep following across the site in the days ahead: who truly deserves to lead the line, how Gonzalo’s rise changes the internal competition, and whether tactical decisions around Mbappe and Vinicius are part of a short-term adjustment or a bigger shift in the team’s direction.

Arbeloa denies Mbappe claim, but the real test starts now. The coach has offered his version, Mbappe has already made his frustration public, and the next match at Sevilla now feels much bigger than a normal late-season league fixture. At Real Madrid, these moments never stay quiet for long.

Sources Used: